|We've had such a good response from of our Bilstein
Front Coilover System we worked tirelessly for 2 years to bring you the
complete package - Introducing our Bilstein 3-Link Coilover System.
This huge step forward in rear suspension technology for your 65-73
Mustang completely replaces the heavy and non-adjustable leaf springs
and stock type shocks with a fully adjustable, modern system. Rear
end positioning is easily adjusted forward, backward, side to side and
up and down. Ride height changes and corner weighting are a snap
to adjust and transform the car into a balanced, corner carving machine.
Custom valved Bilstein shock absorbers and industry leading Hypercoil
springs give you exceptional ride and control from your classic Mustang.
Now compatible with
rear exit exhaust!
A quick benefits list of our coil over system compared to a
conventional spring/shock arrangement would be:
- Easy installation. Our Watts Link Frame and 3rd Link Frame bolt into
the frame rails and transmission tunnel. Rear trailing arm brackets and
rear 3rd link brackets need to be welded to the housing. We designed our
system this way so you can bolt the frames into the chassis and then if you
cannot weld you can take the housing somewhere to someone that can. Its
easier to take a housing somewhere than the chassis! Purchase one of our
Full Floating 9" Rear End Systems at the same time as our 3rd Link
System and we'll fixture and weld all the brackets in the correct spot.
If you wish to use the conventional axle design, we have you covered there
also, you can order one of our
100% new 9" housings with Torino bearing ends.
- Easy ride height adjustment. Our shocks feature a threaded sleeve,
simply rotate the adjuster with the supplied wrench to raise, lower or cross
weight the car. No cutting springs, no guessing.
- 1:1 motion ratio allows use of lighter springs and more shock
motion for improved control.
- Although we have chosen what we feel and have calculated to be a great
combo, coil over springs can be had in 25-50lb increments which is a vast
improvement over the conventional spring offerings.
- We've designed our system to feature super easy spring/shock removal. The
entire spring/shock assembly is held on by 1 bolt on the top and 1 bolt on the
bottom. No spring compressors, no swearing.
- Monoball bearing shock ends further reduce bind found in stock setup. This transmits road forces directly to
the spring & shock allowing it to do what its designed to do and get the tire
back on the road quicker for more control and better handling. Other
systems on the market that use rubber or polyurethane shock bushings will bind
during regular suspension travel and slow down the shocks reaction to bumps.
- Our billet 3rd Link Bearing Support installs inside the transmission
tunnel and enables us to achieve a longer 3rd link than the S197 Boss 302.
- Complete Bilstein 3-Link Coilover System is 30lbs lighter than the leaf
spring system we took off our 66 test car.
- Shock valving and spring rates are matched to our front
Bilstein Front Coilover System. When you equip your vehicle with both
systems that are designed to work together, you'll achieve a superbly balanced
View many more installed pictures in our
Customers Cars section on our Facebook page.
Just like our
Bilstein Front Coilover System,
we worked for a full year (in fact the testing and development never ends) computing motion ratios, wheel rates, sprung and
un-sprung weights, critical damping and a massive list of other variables to
design our own proprietary Street, Sport and Race shock & spring combinations
specific to the 65-73 Mustang and other vintage Fords. We do NOT use a standard
'off the shelf shock' that simply fits in the space and 'sort of feels right'.
Each shock and spring package is designed based on the vehicles weight and
Alongside the year of math, shock curves and shock dyno time we drove many, many
street miles and 100's of laps on our favorite racetracks for a real world 'seat
of the pants' validation of each combination.
|The shock valving & spring combinations available for our Bilstein
3-Link Coil Over System are:
We feel that this combination rides as close to a modern production car as you
are likely to get from your classic. That was our goal and we feel we've
met that. Choose this system if you want a smooth yet responsive ride from
your classic that you can drive for hours and hours without feeling beaten up.
We worked really hard on this package to design it for all those dual purpose
street or open track cars out there. This package gives a smooth, crisp,
controlled ride on the street but can also handle bouncing off the curbs and
sticky tires at the road course. Choose this system if you like carving
around bends, on/off ramps and/or open tracking with NO need to switch shocks or
click gimmicky knobs.
For our race setup, the shock gets switched for one with a Schrader valve to
adjust/set nitrogen pressure. With a shock inflator gauge like #LON50473
and a tank of nitrogen from your local welding supply store, this enables the
customer to change gas pressure beneath the dividing piston. Choose this
option for a dedicated track car. This valving can also be built into a
Bilstein shock without the Schrader valve should you not wish to have the option
to tune gas pressure but still want the race setup. A lap of Road
America showed this setup was 3 seconds faster than the Sport! Beaten on
around Road America, Gingerman Raceway, Waterford Hills and Autobahn Country
Club this setup is quick and very durable.
Watch us smoke many cars with double the power during testing at Waterford Hills Raceway:
Watch how easy the
Simple. Elegant. Effective.
Front trailing arm mount options
- Stock leaf spring hole - quickly and easily install the
trailing arms into the stock forward leaf spring mount.
- Frame rail mount - lowers and lengthens the trailing arms
which improves the Side View Swing Angle by 51% - reducing pinion
angle change during suspension travel. Requires welding brackets
to chassis. Also compatible with mini-tubbed cars - contact us
to learn specifics.
Leaf spring mount
Frame rail mount
- Street or Track Watts Link - bolt in design, multiple positive roll
center height adjustment points.
- 3rd Link frame - bolt in design, billet 3rd Link bearing support.
- 3rd Link - press formed from a single piece of material eliminates
failure points, contoured to follow the trunk floor to allow maximum clearance
for lowered cars.
- Custom valved Bilstein coilover shocks fitted with shaft mounted bump
stops, thrust bearing washers and Hypercoil springs.
- Optional double adjustable shocks available under the drop down menu below. Set the rebound and compression at #1 and you have our Street valving, set both at #5 and you have our Sport valving, both at #10 and you have our Race valving! Feel free to play anywhere in between to tune the ride how YOU want. This all aluminum shock body w/spring is 1.6lbs lighter than our standard steel bodied Bilstein shock assembly and features ride height adjustment threads on the body instead of a separate sleeve. The aluminum body will lower un-sprung weight and shed heat quicker for longer lasting high performance.
- Trailing arms and brackets.
- Hardware required to install the system.
- Spanner wrench to adjust ride height.
- Detailed instructions.
- Our upper 3rd Link spans from the third member to the transmission
tunnel. A slight increase in gear whine inside the cabin may be
noticeable. To reduce noise Hushmat or other sound reducing products can be applied on the floor under the rear seat.
- 1969 - 1973 cars will require use of our trunk box (see pictures
HERE). Once installed this box is behind the rear seat and
provides clearance for the 3rd Link at full compression. All parts
supplied as well as instructions.
- Stock fuel line may have to be re-routed in some applications.
- Drop in Mustang Fuel Safe fuel cells will need the standard front fuel outlet reconfigured to clear
our Watts Link frame. Please see our
how to. If you don't have your cell yet, ask about our
custom made Fuel Safe fuel cells.
- Up to 3" rear exit exhaust is possible but will likely need to be fabricated as
a 'off the shelf kit' may not fit with clearance. Any good exhaust
shop can build this.
- Cars with factory staggered shocks will need to modify the Watts Link
frame and possibly the shock bracket to install the frame in the required